Map of Austria

Map of Austria
Road Trip!!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Did you know there is a pyramid in Rome?!

So now that I have seen all the main highlights of Rome, it was time to do things off the beaten path. I read up on a pyrmid just outside Rome Central and decided to check it out. After all its free!
Locacted just off the Metro stop, this pyrmid was built as a tomb for Cestius, a magistrate of Italy. It was my first structure that I saw built in the BC era. "Piramide Caio Cestio was built" in 12 BC and it's pretty spectacular! Because of my timing, I took the pictures around 6pm so the lighting was good for photos. Tombs were forbidden within the city walls, so at the time it stood in the countryside. The pyrmide is near the Porta San Paelo or one of the "doorways" to the city of Rome. From the info that I read, there were many pyrmids in Rome but most were demolished in the 16th century and this is Rome's surviving one. As with most of the historical sites in Rome, there are archeological digs being done in the area. Even though there was screening and fencing covering the area of work, I was able to find a hole in the screen to get some pics. I have now learned to look over my shoulders in both directions before taking pictures! The hole was just the right size! So, if you make a trip to Rome and want to see firsthand a structure built in BC times, check this out!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment