Map of Austria

Map of Austria
Road Trip!!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Yes, it's true you need to pay to pee in Europe!

I had heard some stories of public restrooms in Europe and that it will cost you anywhere from 50 cents to 1 Euro, but nothing wil beat first hand experience! I have been fortunate to have timed nature's calls at the hotel or place where we're grabbing a bite to eat, but about the third day I had to use the bathroom before getting on the Metro. Located it easy enough. 50 cents Euro, exact change only. Since it was occupied, the gentleman waiting for his friend inside, spoke English so we chatted while we waited. A few seconds later a loud alarm, similar to one alerting us to a national disaster, sounded off! A large yellow light above the restroom door also starts flashing. The large, primitive looking steel door quickly opened. Let's just say, the guy inside was not quite done! His friend turned to me and said, "Oh, by the way, you are timed! It's five minutes." "Good Luck!" OMG! After all, how bad do I really need to go?!

I decided to bite the bullet and give this adventure a try. In went my 50 cents Euro and the large steel door slid open. OK, now I see how I will be spending most of my five minutes! The toilet paper is conveniently located above one's head (well mine anyway, being vertically challenged). To get some toilet paper you push a black button. Out comes about three inches at a time. So you need to push it again. And again, and again. . . Smart fore thought would be to accomplish all this before sitting down! I began to wonder who really designed these babies?! Fortunately for me my timer did not run out! Safe, and ready for the Metro ride home. I decided to pass it on and wished the person waiting good luck. Also gave a bit of advice on the paper strategy.

Since that day I have found better equipped facilities. But they're pricier: 1 Euro. But the beauty is that you can take your sweet time!!

Sometimes, new countries are such a learning curve! Just have to take it in stride!
Buona sera!

No comments:

Post a Comment